Rhode Island Writers-in-Residence are:
- emerging writers over 21.
- full- or part-time artists who are generally parents, spouses, and/or single adults working full-time in all fields of study and vocation.
- in the writing or drafting phase of a project and need time to focus and complete it.
- not actively enrolled in full-or part-time undergraduate or graduate studies in the academic calendar year fall 2016–spring 2017 during the residency dates this year.
- writing samples show or use a distinctive style, voice, or perspective with commercial and/or canonical appeal.
- internationally traveled and culturally aware.
- well versed in African-American/Diaspora canons.
- demonstrates an ongoing dedication to the study of the craft.
- teaches or employs some sort of artistic activism.